Sunday, May 22, 2016

North Cascades Tour Detrius

Mileage: 402 miles
Elevation gain: 26k+
Most elevation gain in one day: 7k - Newhalem to Washington Pass

Top foodz:

I had a craving for family Mexican, which always disappoints, but in Tonasket I had some non-family Mexican, and it was the best I've ever. Drank lots of funky-tasting water mixed with sugar free Hawaiian Punch packets. Got really into this. Also drank Mexican sodas on breaks. Squirt was the best.

Number of Donald Trump signs: 1
Number of Bernie Sanders bumper stickers: 4

Number of 'private property/no trespassing' signs: hundreds
Level of paranoia among rural Washingtonians: high
Friendliness level: high

Shoulder rating: A-
I spent a lot of time thinking about this, what to rate the shoulder of my route, and comparing it to what? I used the Pacific Coast route from Tilamook Ore. to San Fran, as it's the only other longer tour I've done. On that one, Hwy 101 is OK, pretty good in most places, wide, free of debris, but at critical times it petered away, ie, Cape Perpetua, where on a steep climb on a curve suddenly there is no shoulder and you're forced into the lane with raging log trucks and texting RVs. Then Highway 1 has no shoulder and is pretty scary in addition to being very beautiful. Altogether, I would give it a B to B-, mainly because Hwy 1 can be so stressful. So, compared to the PCR, I'd say the Higway 20 (Northern Tier Route) is pretty excellent. An A+ is near impossible, a solid A would mean 99% wide shoulders all the time. So this route, in my opinion, was solid. Only occasionally, when on the highway, was I forced into the lane and only once where it felt sketchy. The only occasions I was without a shoulder, on a side road, doesn't really factor into the A-. Once inside Spokane, it got hairy, but it doesn't seem fair to hold that against thewhole route. As I have just demonstrated, I spent a lot of time thinking about this.

Worst mosquitoes: Okanagon

Ratio of rainstorms I got caught in to rainstorms I dodged damn it: 1/4

Best riding:
1) coming down Washington Pass
2) the rolling hills of Wauconda

Worst riding:
1) coming down Sherman Pass

Days with a tailwind: 1

Wildlife viewed:

1 bobcat, outside Mazama
1 bear, by Omak Lake
Lots and lots of deer
a few dead snakes on the roadside
2 dead turtles, shells crushed on the roadside
half a dozen turkeys
lots of hawks and osprey
so many pretty little birds

Top riding jams:

Solo, lonely at times, nobody to throw my arm around when the sun went down, so I spent a lot of time in my head with jams in my earz.

1) David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (whole album): Listened to this at least once a day. 'Moonage Daydream" and 'Sweet Head" especially.

'Look south the way your mother dwells
If she knew what's going down, she'd give you hell
I'm the kind of man she warned me of
Till there was rock, you only had God'

2) Diplo and Swick - 'Dat a Freak' - "big big booty but you got a big booty"

3) Drake - 'The Motto' - He tries so hard. Love that guy. Ya'll don't get it, do you?

Drake:
Tell Uncle Luke I’m out in Miami too
Clubbing hard, fuckin’ women, ain’t much to do

Lil Wayne:
One time, fuck one time
I’m calling niggas out like the umpire
Seven grams in the blunt
Almost drowned in her pussy so I swam to her butt

4) Lucious Jackson - 'Naked Eye' - Naked is a state of mind

5) Jimi Hendrix - 'Are you experienced?' - 'Not necessarily stoned, but, beautiful'

6) Velvet Underground - 'Guess I'm falling in love'

7) Joe Cocker - 'Feelin' Alright'

8) Trey Songz - 'Slow Motion'

So, shawty, let your hair down, and take a sip
Go and put this joint between your lips
Baby, why don't you make yourself comfortable
While I go and put this tongue on you

9) Fetty Wap - '679'

"They like, 'Monty, can you be my baby daddy?' I'm like, 'yeah'"

10) Beck - 'Sexx Laws' - The freaky drums on this get to me, the 'cavalry drums,' hijack my equilibrium every time.

I want to defy
The logic of all sex laws
Let the handcuffs slip off your wrists
I'll let you be my chaperone
At the halfway home
I'm a full-grown man
But I'm not afraid to cry

11) Led Zeppelin - 'Hey Hey What Can I do?' - Keep ballin'

In the evening when the sun is sinkin' low
Everybody's with the one they love
I walk the town, Keep a-searchin' all around
Lookin' for my street corner girl

12) Whalebones - 'City No More' - More than anything, this song, by my friend Justin

I want everyone to see the mountaintop
I want everyone to see the desert sky
all of my family, friends and i
altogether now leave the city behind
swimming in the river, hot sun in the sky
my friends my family my baby and i


No comments:

Post a Comment