Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Public Image Ltd. - Nothing in particular

Public Image Ltd. - Nov. 23, 2015 - Showbox Theater, Seattle, Wash.

1. It rained, and my backpack was big and bulky and felt like a big old booty as I shook it. 

2. it occurred to me, he is the closest thing I've ever had to a hero, and I am standing this close to him. 


3. He is sick. He blew nose rockets, blew his nose in his hand and wiped it on his black dickies shirt. A flutter of spent tissue poofed up out his hand and fell on stage. My first thought: oh, Johnny rotten, O Elvis, throw me your infected tissue! I could brag about my rotten cold, my rotten flu, I got it from the anarchist/antichrist! It would be like having his child! Then I felt embarrassed, ashamed of this groupie instinct, and was relieved to think nobody else would know what I was thinking.

4. On the subject of being sick, the last time I was at the showbox, the first and only time, was to see the Flaming Lips back in the '90s, and the lead singer was sick too. They come to Seattle and we get them sick.

5. Aaron bought us the tickets for my 40th birthday. It was 20 years ago, last month, that I moved in with him and Vern. The Sandcastle. That November was colder than this one. We loved Johnny rotten together. That's how we became friends. We were both in trouble, sitting in the vice principals office. Eighth grade. We had never spoke. I said, I heard you like the sex pistols. We didn't hear any sex pistols tonight. They played a great set. They didn't play the song, "Seattle."

6. Aaron caught out in the bus tunnels. I rode down second avenue in the rain to that really good subway on fourth , with the gnomish sandwich artist whose name tag says Ewok. I told him that he is the best. Always. He is the best. You could tell it made him feel good to hear that. 'We aim to please.' I knew it was a lie, subway aims to please no one, but I didn't want to argue.

7. The train c-blocked me, fenced me in on the east side. I raced it to downtown, but was bested. If I had been just a little faster.

8. Caught the drunk boat back to Bummertown. 



1 comment: