Monday, October 7, 2013

I Make It Rain!


Sheltered by a Central District tree, where I almost turned around
The second I walked outside, at 11 p.m., the rain started. It had been dry, warm and sunny all day.

I listened to Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Wolfmother.

By the time I made it to the Central District, I was wet. Waiting beneath a tree, I watched the rain for a reprieve. None was forthcoming. I started back north, chickening out, then thought better of it, chickening out on chickening out, and turned around. A made it a block, then turned around again. I must have done this a couple more times, chickening out over and over, before finally asking myself, 'What else do I have to do?' So I continued south.



Many red lights and stop signs were blown, completely blown. Standing in the middle of the street in a downpour feels like adding insult to injury.

By the time the purple bike completed the climb up Beacon Hill, the rain had soaked through. I kept on riding, visibility low due to the rain falling from the sky and the rain than had fallen on my glasses, pointing toward the Chief Sealth Trail. To remember the name of the street where the trail starts, Dawson Street, I draw on the Wu Tang Clan for help:
I be tossin, enforcin, my style is awesome
I'm causin more Family Feuds than Richard Dawson
And the survey said -- ya dead!
Fatal Flying Guillotine chops off your fuckin head
Truly, Wu Tang Clan is nothing to fuck with.

I made it to Graham Street before turning east, toward Martin Luther King Boulevard, passing Chua Co Lam. From there the haul back home started. Sometimes the south side is hardly recognizable, with all the mixed use residentials and gentrification.

Sure enough, just as I steered into the alley, the rain stopped.

1 comment: