Monday, July 1, 2013

Long time, no post.



John Pepys here.  Early in the summer here in 2013, I've been doing more night riding than ever.  Yet it's been a long while since I've actually taken the initiative to post here.  But tonight was a special case.  In addition to my logging a short solo ride down to Harbor Island and back, Secretary Gentle had tasked me with a mission.

Now, the details of the mission were (and remain) classified, so I can't discuss the specifics here.  Suffice it to say, it involved a fair amount of intoxicants, as well as a handful of daring, quasi-legal acts.  While the Union and its staff would never advocate, condone, or endorse a wanton disregard for the laws of the Sovereign State of Washington, a slight bending of the law can be tolerated when such acts are deemed essential for the advancement of the Union and its members.



Such was the nature of the assignment that Secretary Gentle had laid out.  At a general convening of Union officers last month, the Secretary explained the plan to us and argued that successful completion of this task would serve the interests of the Union.  Given the irrefutability of his logic, I was inclined to agree; thus, I eagerly volunteered.

Big Red encounters a gigantic sea creature
So, when the big night finally came, I was ready.  I couldn't have asked for a better night, weather-wise: temperatures between 63 and 68 degrees the entire time, with slight breezes to keep me cool as I tooled along Alaskan Way.  A mere 13.5 miles round trip, I completed my assignment and had plenty of time to stop off for a smoke and to take a handful of photos--even though it was already 1:15 AM when i entered the Terminal 91 bike path.

And, I'm proud to report, the mission came off like clockwork!  No cops, no crashes--no problem.  I've got my fingers crossed that when the Secretary briefs President Q on the results of tonight's mission, he will find them agreeable, as well.

Mission complete: Harbor Island

1 comment: