Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bad medicine in Tukwila

bad luck may look like fun, but it sucks

Posted 10:11 p.m.

TUKWILA, Green River Trail -- Rain was a bad omen. Wrecks n effect in tukwila. First jeremiah dumps his bike. Then mr. Q struck a random, unflagged bollard at cecil moses park. Chipped two three four teeth. Harborview  ER. Son of a bitch.

UPDATE: 2:23 a.m.

It began raining when we left Magnolia. By the time we hit downtown we were pretty well soaked. We launched early, 7:20 p.m., to make sure we could make it all the way to Auburn and not have to turn around, like last time. The ride is about 60 miles.

The bad luck started when Jeremiah fell behind. Mr. Q turned around to check on him.

Turns out we had left him far behind, and while standing in the saddle and looking for us, he rode off a curb at 27th Ave. S and S 102nd St., dropping his bike. No injuries, but kinked his handlebars.

Mr. Q found him, and not seeing headlights for a while, I turned around and found Mr. Q digging for his tools. Jeremiah got his bars straight. Rather than have us wait for him to repack his bag, Mr. Q told us to start without him, he would catch up.

At this point we had started the Green River Trail, no street lights on 27th Ave. Jeremiah and I broke off and made it across the first bridge. Jeremiah held back to wait for Mr. Q. He never showed up.

At about 9 p.m. -- visibility poor, headwind and rain -- Mr. Q was about to enter Cecil Moses Memorial Park when he encountered shifting problems. He looked down at his drive train. At that moment he approached a bollard in the middle of the trail, bifurcating the path for two-way traffic, but did not see it.

Here is an example of what a bollard looks like.
The quick release cap and left blade of Mr. Q's fork struck the bollard. The handlebars cranked hard left.* Mr. Q was flung face first toward the pavement. The impact chipped three four of his front teeth. He was able to recover one part of a tooth. We were unable to find any more pieces.

Beth drove down and picked him up, took him to Harborview. Received a text at 12:42 a.m. that he was waiting to be x-rayed.

After Beth and Mr. Q left, Jeremiah and I hung around a park shelter. A cop showed up to check the restrooms, but he was cool (sheriff's deputy, not city of Tukwila cop). We rode straight home. To make it more of a bitch, it had stopped raining. Final mileage was about 28 miles. Mr. Q's wreck occurred half way to our destination.

UPDATE: Sunday

Mr. Q got out of the hospital at about 4:30 a.m. No broken bones, but four teeth damaged and his knee is messed up. He said the pain isn't bad.

*White paint transfer from the bollard was observed on the fork. The skewer cap, in pieces, was found in the middle of the path. Handlebar tape on the right drop was torn and scuffed.

1 comment: